Looking to join us? Take a look at some of the benefits of becoming a member.
- The Chamber is the main representative voice of business in North Shields and is committed to promoting businesses which operate in all areas of the town, to attracting new business and to making North Shields an attractive place for residents and visitors.
- It is an active forum for discussion of topical issues in the town – members meet every 4-6 weeks and issues are also raised and discussed by email. We currently have over 130 members. Membership will give you an opportunity to have early notice of proposed changes and developments, to discuss matters of concern to you and to seek appropriate solutions.
- The Chamber has a close liaison with other relevant local bodies, including North Tyneside Council, local Councillors, the Police, the Fire Brigade, the Elected Mayor, our local MPs, the local press, other local chambers and the transport concerns. As a result, we are able to give you early notice of matters that may affect you and to raise with these bodies matters of concern. Our communal voice carries more weight where important matters need to be raised; the larger our membership, the louder our voice.
- For example, you will be better informed about: parking issues; local policing matters; local authority and town planning news; transport and highway changes.
- On a regular basis, we invite a representative of relevant local bodies to attend our meetings to give a short talk and to discuss matters of interest to members.
- We ensure that we always make a considered comment on initiatives to improve the area, for example, the application for Heritage Lottery Funding to assist with maintaining and improving Northumberland Square and Howard Street.
Recent successes include: the Victorian Christmas Market in December and the Proper Food and Drink Festival in August, both of which bring a great number of visitors to the town; the hanging baskets; increased footfall; town centre display boards (following increased involvement with local educational establishments); the regular Town Centre Events; the North Shields Town Trail; free parking in the Beacon Centre car park in December; greater interaction of business with local schools; the guide to shopping and other services issued to the crew of cruise and other ships docking at North Shields..
- We assist in giving support to established and start-up businesses.
- We are a partner in the North Tyneside Business Forum, which supports businesses across North Tyneside and we are members of the North Tyneside Retail Task Group, which helps to determine the retail plans for our towns in North Tyneside. We sit on the Coastal Community Team, which assists in redeveloping the Fish Quay.
- The existence of an active dynamic chamber is a positive factor in attracting new business to North Shields.
- Through the affiliation of the Chamber to the North East Chamber of Commerce, you have access to the information and resources of the NECC.
- We work with the North East LEP and Invest North East England.
- The Chamber acts as a forum for networking with other businesses in North Shields; and from time to time, we arrange other networking events for members. We also work closely with the Whitley Bay and Wallsend Chambers of Trade; a recent joint event saw speakers from the LEP addressing members on local funding possibilities.
- Your business details will be shown on the Chamber website, which will raise your profile with other members and with other potential customers. And you will have an additional opportunity to promote your business via the wider media.
- The Latest News section of the website, and our Twitter and Facebook pages, can be used by members for their own announcements.
- Membership costs less than £1 a week (and this is tax deductible).
Our Next Meeting
The next meeting will be on Wednesday the 4th of September 2019, 5.00pm, at the offices of Carney Consultancy, The Smokehouse, 7-8, Clifford Fort, Fish Quay, NE30 1JE - post meeting drinks will be at The Salty Sea Dog, 17, Union Quay (a couple of minutes'walk from The Smokehouse).