Please see details, forwarded to us by Karen Westgate of the Business Factory, of Retail Rate Relief, which currently will end in March 2016.
Retail Relief Guidelines
Contact North Tyneside Rates Dept. direct : 0191 643 2365
Application form process. If approved, a revised bill will be issued with the discount included.
The government provides funding for a business rates discount of up to £1500 in 2015/2016, to all occupied retail properties with a rateable value of £50,000 or less. This support ends March 2016.
The government recognises that the retail sector is changing, particularly due to internet shopping, and many high streets are experiencing challenges as they look to adapt to changing consumer preferences in how people shop. The Government wishes to support town centres in their response by providing particular support to retailers.
North Tyneside Council can claim back any discounts granted from Central Government, so the local authority doesn’t lose out.
Gov guidelines Relief Available to :-
Shops, restaurants, cafes and drinking establishments to mean:
- Hereditaments that are being used for the sale of goods to visiting members of the public:
- Shops (such as: florist, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off licence, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets, etc)
- Charity shops
- Post offices
- Furnishing shops/ display rooms (such as: carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors) Car/ caravan show rooms Second hard car lots
- Petrol stations
- Garden centres
- Art galleries (where art is for sale/hire)
- Hereditaments that are being used for the provision of the following services to visiting members of the public:
- Hair and beauty services (such as: hair dressers, nail bars, beauty salons, tanning shops, etc)
- Shoe repairs/ key cutting
- Travel agents
- Ticket offices e.g. for theatre
- Dry cleaners
- PC/ TV/ domestic appliance repair
- Funeral directors
- Photo processing
- DVD/ video rentals
- Tool hire
- Car hire
iii. Hereditaments that are being used for the sale of food and/ or drink to visiting members of the public:
- Sandwich shops
- Coffee shops
Hereditaments that are being used for the provision of the following services to visiting members of the public:
- Financial services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureau de change, payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers)
- Other services (e.g. estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies)
- Medical services (e.g. vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- Professional services (e.g. solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers, tutors)
- Post office sorting office